It’s that time of year again!
Time for me to suck it up and tell you guys exactly how I did.
Spoiler: I met 7 of my 14 goals this quarter. That’s a 50% F.
Next year I’m actually going to start doing bi-monthly goals, something my writing friend Kristen Martin does. Quarterly goals might be too long a time period for me right now, so I’m going to try to change it up and see if that works better!
As always, you can watch my video if you’d prefer to see how horrible I am at finding decent lighting.
Really it’s just because I filmed this while the hurricane was bearing down on FL. Don’t worry, I’m now safely visiting my parents all the way in Niceville, FL where the sun is shining brightly!
Hopefully our house is still standing when we get back home.
- Finish first draft. ❌
Nope. I still have those few lingering scenes at the end to write and it tickles me I haven’t done it yet. Why? I started over editing from the beginning because in the POV switch confusion, my manuscript was getting too jumbled.
- Send book to betas and incorporate edits. ❌
I set myself up for failure on this one by not splitting this up into two tasks. I’ve started to send my manuscript off to betas, so this one is still in process.
Short story: no.
- Book an editor. ✅
YESSS! I did it! I booked two editors for developmental, line and proofreading after pouring over dozens of editors. They’re paid and my slots are reserved! First editing deadline is Nov. 14.
- Post on website, YouTube, insta weekly. ❌
Uhm, no. I don’t even know how many weeks I missed in this chaos. It was all a blur.
- New banner and site logo. ✅
Check and check. I did this one so early in the quarter that I forgot I had done it. Yes, it was an easy one but it counts!
- Organize computer files. ✅
Done! I had all my files split between Steven’s Mac and my PC. The only reason I use his is for video editing…I swear, nothing beats iMovie. Still haven’t found an equal for PC that isn’t outrageous.
- Improve the “read my book page.” ✅
Check. It actually reads somewhat like a book now! I worked oh-so-hard on it too. No really…I did. That crap took forever.
- Fix all broken links ✅
Jes, I did it! When I transferred my website over from WordPress hosted to self-hosted it changed the formatting of my links. I could have changed it back to the old format but I really liked the new one, so I had to go through and individually change them. Did it!
- Finish optimizing website pages. ✅
Checkeroo! There’s still some work to do on the website, but the pages look soooo much better.
- Buy a house. ✅
Checkity check and check. Like our big house down payment check…
- Choose wedding venue/date. ❌
No. This is a big one that I need to get situated ASAP. I don’t want anyone stealing our date!
- Post chapters 2 and 3 online. ❌
I posted chapter 2 but not 3. Poop.
- Book cover and reveal. ❌
I mentioned last time that I’m redesigning my cover, but I haven’t commissioned someone for it yet. Reveal coming soon!
- Book all travel for this year. ❌
Niet. Although this one should be done by the end of this week pending how crazy our lives get with this hurricane coming our way.
And that’s it! I’m really proud of myself that I managed to do half of my goals with all the craziness I had going on. Buying a house was WAY more intensive than I thought it would be and I’m so glad the home search is over. It was seriously exhausting. Like it needs to be your full-time job (at least in our market which is a seller’s market right now). Talk about a race!
- Finish first draft. I really hope I can get this one done since I have an editing deadline now…no pressure.
- Finish sending book to betas and incorporate edits.
- Post on website/YouTube/insta weekly.
- Choose wedding venue. BIG DEAL! LIKE DO IT ASAP!
- Post chapter 3 online.
- Book cover and reveal.
- Book all travel for this year.
- Finish developmental edits to meet line edit deadline
- Get my dress for the second wedding I’m in.
- Unpack EVERYTHING.
- Manage to decorate for the holidays. Check back soon for my updates on Halloween decorations because what I’m planning is EPIC! Like I’m jealous of myself that I was able to think of it.
- Update “About Me” on my website.
- Write a novella. You weren’t expecting that one were you? My plan is to have the novella published by the time my novel goes live as a signup incentive.
Lucky number thirteen…let’s see if that helps me or not!
I promised myself I would go easy on myself this quarter but it doesn’t appear that I have. I’ve renewed my to-do list fever and can’t wait to jump back on board!
Pending life doesn’t get in the way again…
I would love to hear from you! Do you use goals? If you do, how much do you think it has affected your productivity? Drop a line down below and tell me all about it 😀